My trip to the ER
On Saturday I woke up with severe pain in my upper abdomen. Thinking it would just go away shortly I lied in bed while Sydney was at the door of the bedroom crying because she wanted to be with her Mommy =( I soon realized that I needed to at least go see my doctor before making that decision to go to the ER. After going to see my doctor, he said that it was possibly my appendix, but that I needed to go to the hospital to get blood work and a CAT scan done to be sure.
We got to the hospital at 12:00 and waited in the waiting room for 2 hours, we were the second people on the waiting list. I couldn't take the pain sitting in the waiting room so I went out to the car and layed down. Will called me in the car when the nurse came out to get us. It was so busy in the ER that day that I didn't even get a room, I had a bed in the hallway, Hall 5 to be exact. Nurses came and went, they took my blood, gave me an IV and then told me that I needed to drink this "smoothie" before they could do the CAT scan in order to see clearly inside me. While I am trying to down this drink Will is nicely telling me a story of the worst drink he had ever drank before in his life and how he had a stomach ache afterward. I nicely told him how I felt soooo bad for him-as I was lying there in pain drinking Sulfate-NASTY! After drinking the "smoothie" I had to wait 2-3 hours before getting the CAT scan to make sure the "smoothie" went all the way through my intestines. Finally about 5:30 I made it up to the CAT scan. I asked the nurse how long it would take before finding out the results and she replied "not that long since you are in the ER". We finally got the results at 8:00 from the doctor. He told us that the tip of my appendix didn't look great but the rest of my appendix looked fine, and that my white blood cell count was above normal. He wasn't sure if they wanted to take my appendix out so he said he would have the surgeon talk to me. The surgeon came over about 8:50 and was the first doctor to actually touch and feel what's going on in my stomach. After talking to the surgeon for a few minutes, she said that she was going to discuss this with her team. About 9:30 rolls around and by this point I am feeling better sitting up and itching to go home at this point, the nurse comes by and says that they are moving me to a room. Finally 9.5 hours later they place me in a room. After I get into the room the surgeon comes back to talk to me and says that she doesn't see the need for my appendix to come out yet, if the pain gets worse I will have to come back and get it out. At 9:45 they start the discharging procedure. I was in a room for a half hour in my 10 hour stay in the hospital!
1 comment:
Crazy story Marissa! Hope you're feeling better now. Anything Carie or I can do for you?
Post a Comment