Monday, November 17, 2008

Blood Lab

Today I took Sydney to get her blood taken for the lead test they do every year until they turn 3. I prepared her before we even left the house. We talked about how we were going to the doctor and they were going to take blood out of her arm. I asked Sydney if she was going to cry and she said "no", then I replied, "are you going to be brave and strong", and she of course said "yes!"
When we arrived in the lab we walked in to hear a baby screaming!!! Sydney was very concerned for the baby while I was concerned that hearing her cry would make her afraid and be scared of getting her blood taken. There was an old lady in front of us and then it was Sydney's turn. The doctor asked the woman if Sydney could watch so she would know what is expected of her, and the woman was alright with that. I told Sydney what exactly that doctor was doing to the woman and then showed her how the woman didn't cry and she was brave. So now it was Sydney's turn.......

Sydney was hesitant to walk into the room but I was ably to coax her in. She sat on my lap and the doctor proceeded with rolling up her sleeve, putting on his gloves, and prepping her arm. We were trying to make the experience like it was exciting and fun and Sydney totally went along with it! She was awesome! She didn't cry, or whine, or even whimper as they drew blood from her. We watched how the blood came out and talked about how it was coming out of her body and going into the tubes and even color of it. She was amazing!

Sydney's the type of person who is curious and a deep thinker, so she likes to be informed and know exactly what's going on in life. If we took her in without talking about it and the doctor just poked her arm she probably would have cried, but she knew what to expect and it wasn't a scary experience. It turned into a fun experience! She our strong and brave big girl!!!

No comments: