Thursday, December 31, 2009

Our Beautiful New Addition!

Sorry for the delay, between having our beautiful new addition we have had my family here visiting/helping, therefore, really no time for blogging.

We welcomed our beautiful little girl Savannah Jean to our family on December 21, 2009! She was 8 lbs. .8 oz and 20 1/2 inches long. She is absolutely perfect!

We were scheduled to be induced at 11 a.m on December 21st. We got to the hospital at 10:45. We registered and got brought to our room and chatted with the nurse for a little while. I knew that there was a possibility that we could be sent home due to the induction not taking. I asked the nurse what is the probability that I would have the baby today with me being 2 cm dilated? Her response was about 40%. That really was hard to hear. I was determined to have this work and be home in time for Christmas. Not only that, but my mother and stepfather drove from MA for the week and planned it as to be here for the birth and then to help out afterward. Will also had the next 5 days off from work. It had to happen now!!! I was thinking positive and doing everything in my power to get the baby out!

It was at 11:44 a.m. that the doctor placed a gel near my cervix to help me start with contractions. I had to lie on my back for an hour to let it work and then they would let me get up and walk up and down the halls. I had 4 hours for this to work or they would send me home! After an hour of lying on my back I was having a little cramping. I got up and walked when they let me and walked (waddled) vigorously up and down the halls. Everyone who was there with me (5 others) felt the need to walk with me up and down the halls too. The nurses were joking how no one could keep up with the pace I was walking. I knew that the faster and more vigorous I walked the more the contractions would come. I could only walk for so long until my hands starting ballooning up as well as my legs and ankles. I would have to take a break every now and then. During my breaks the nurses hooked me up to the monitors and we watched the contractions slowly start to build. The contractions were coming every 3 minutes!! They weren't strong at that point, but I could feel them slightly. The doctor said that if they continue at this rate he would break my water and it wouldn't be long after that. I was ecstatic when I heard he would break my water~that meant I was staying!!!! At 6 the doctor came in and broke my water~I don't remember with my labor with Sydney how unpleasant and uncomfortable it was to sit in a bed for hours while leaking amniotic fluid constantly, and it was much worse when I moved or laughed~and if you know me, I laugh a lot!

As soon as they broke my water the anesthesiologist came in to place my epidural in my back. I wasn't in pain yet and only 3-4 cm dilated, but the anesthesiologist was about to go home (she lived a half hour away) so they decided to just do it before she left. This experience was not like last time. It was wonderful! It was a little uncomfortable to get the epidural, but I knew how much pain I would not be in because of it (at least I hoped anyway). My epidural did not work last time with Sydney. It was the weirdest feeling to not be able to feel my legs and be able to lift them. At about 7 I got my epidural and about 10:30 I started to feel the pressure of my contractions, but still not in pain.

I told everyone in the room (Will, my mom, and Will's mom) and the nurse that I feel a lot of pressure and that probably about 11 I think I would need to push. Everyone in the room was watching the Monday night football game and really wasn't paying much attention when I told them I might have to push soon. They didn't believe me because I wasn't in pain, they knew last time it took a while and I was in pain for so long. I finally took the remote at 10:45 and turned the T.V. off! I told them that someone needs to get the nurse because I really feel the need to push. That's when things finally started to get rolling. The nurse came in and helped me breathe through some of the contractions to keep me from pushing, but I'm sorry, there is no way you can not push when you feel the need!!!! I waited all this time to have a baby, and now your going to tell me not to push, I don't think so!

At 11 the nurse ran to get the doctor and as the doctor went to check me he saw the head crowning!!!! He rushed to get his gown on and get ready to catch. He barely had enough time to get ready and Savannah was born!!!!! I pushed about 2 pushes and she was out at 11:09! As soon as I pushed her out Will claims I said "aaaahhhh, that feels much better" :) The things I say after labor. With Sydney it was much different, it was "I'M ADOPTING!"

If I could have this process of labor next time I would do it a million times over! It was such a great experience and I felt wonderful after having Savannah! I could not believe the difference in both of the births.

Here are some pictures to document the experience and the birth of our beautiful new daughter:


Taken at 10:15 on Monday December 21, 2009 right before we left for the hospital.
Last belly picture!
Our last family of 3 picture!
The soon to be BIG SISTER!
The Christmas tree at the end of the hall I walked up and down.
So the nurses asked me if I had fallen in the past 6 months. I told her I fell at my sister in laws house down the stairs outside one day while it was raining and I was wearing flip flops. I injured my leg, but nothing happened to the baby. Well, she gave me a "fall risk" band I had to wear the whole time in the hospital. :P Therefore, one time while I was walking up and down the halls Sydney kept running out asking me "you feel like(light) headed?" And of course I felt fine, but she walked with me anyway to keep me safe!
Epidural was in and feeling wonderful!!! So happy to be numb and knowing that a baby was coming soon! Of course I was texting! :)
Savannah Jean 8 lbs. .8oz
Sorry for the blurry picture~she's still getting cleaned up.
Mommy and Savannah!
Mommy and Daddy with our new daughter.
She was ready to eat as soon as she came out!!! Look at that mouth go!
Proud Daddy!
Our Christmas baby! She got a Santa hat and a nice crocheted Christmas blanket!
Once again...sorry about the blurry picture. Mommy and her 2 girls!
Even though we had company in our room, we had to take advantage of other people watching over both the girls :)
Getting ready to go home....of course she is fast asleep!
The bere' was a little too big~woops....but it sure made for a cute picture!
In her car seat for the first time!
SISTERS!

No comments: